Today is my husband Steven’s birthday. He was at work until about an hour ago, when he surprised Jake and me and came home early! I love early days. Even one day with a “normal” work/home schedule is a treat around here. I know we’ll never have typical weekends, or even a typical family evening schedule, so these days are precious to me. Anyway, we had gone to lunch earlier this afternoon, and Jake was such a trooper. He put up with a late lunch and a very late nap without a problem, and I was very proud of him.
Speaking of Steven’s birthday…I didn’t get him anything. I feel like a terrible wife, even though he could never tell me what he wanted. Steven’s not the kind of guy you get random gifts for. Give him something you know he wants/will use or it’s wasted money. And considering it would have been HIS wasted money, it’s best that I just say “absolutely” the next time he mentions something a bit outlandish that he would like to buy. I swear, he’s the most difficult person to buy presents for. So, we’ll go get some Korean comfort food for dinner, watch more Game of Thrones (no spoilers!), and call it a night. Sounds like a perfect evening to me.
Have you ever heard of Influenster? If not, I’d take a moment to check out their About Page, because they do a much better job of explaining exactly what it is that they do than I ever could. That being said, I was selected to receive their latest VoxBox, which included a variety of Mary Kay items! I finally received it yesterday, and I couldn’t wait to open it up! I even made an unboxing video, which is pretty brief, but I’ll be reviewing the items that I received on here this week. I hope you’ll take a moment to watch! I’ve been really debating starting a vlog that I’d update every couple of days or use to supplement this blog. Thoughts? It’s not like I do too many exciting things around here, but I think it would be fun. I enjoy editing photos/videos and YouTube seems like a good creative outlet. Anyway, on to the video!
Note: Thanks for the awesome thumbnail option, YouTube.
Next post: Mary Kay Reviews!
Disclaimer: I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.
After my last post I was very motivated to find a way to get some kind of schedule set up for myself. I wanted some kind of permanent reminder for myself of what I’d (ideally) like to get done on a day-to-day basis. So I made this:
My Ideal Schedule
The full-size version is my laptop’s background. Some things to note:
- This is obviously going to change when Jake starts pre-school/activities
- This is an IDEAL schedule. I’m not going to beat myself up about staying in pjs a little longer some days, or if Jake’s not in the best mood for morning errands. Honestly, I don’t have many errands to run, so there are days we just stay at home.
- The evening schedule is odd because my husband works 12-hour days and doesn’t get home until it’s almost Jake’s bedtime. We always eat together, and Jake eats at 6pm. Would I like us to all eat together? Absolutely, but that’s a whole other post. We’ll chat about that at a later date. At some point I’ll switch to eating dinner with Jake, and Dad will just have to deal with re-heating a plate. 😉
- “Daily Cleaning Task” refers to The Fly Lady method. Her site has changed my thoughts on the cleaning process, and makes life quite a bit easier. I am not a cleaning marathon kind of person; I get frustrated and never finish when I start. I could go into a whole other post just on Fly Lady, but I won’t. Check out the site and see for yourself. I don’t follow it precisely, but a little work everyday gets the job done.
- “Projects” refers to something around the house that needs to be done. On the list right now: Hang picture frames, Jake’s Second Yearbook, Organize Goodwill run, etc. It is a never-ending and changing list.
As I said before, it’s not a big deal if the schedule isn’t followed exactly, but it’s nice to see what I’d ideally like to get done each day right there in front of me. I’ve never been good with keeping lists or daily planners, so this is my modification.
Other things on my mind right now:
- Jake needs other kids around. I don’t have friends with kids his age and he’s not getting other kid interaction. I’ve been looking at some Mommy’s Day Out programs (2 days/week), but I just don’t know. Most are religiously affiliated, and I don’t know how I feel about that. Plus, he’s never been in a structured setting, and I worry about that. I feel like if he’s more…rambunctious than most that I might have done something wrong. But I also know that he needs that environment.
It’s about time I get myself together. I’ve been a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM) for almost two years, my house could use always use a cleaning, there are still boxes from our move a year ago, and most days I’m lucky if I take a shower. To be honest, I’d much rather lounge and blog read or watch YouTube videos than accomplish anything. I start the day with good intentions, but those don’t usually pan out. Primarily due to my own laziness. I am there next to Jake (2) all of the time though, and I don’t regret that at all. He’s the reason I don’t work, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have other responsibilities, and I need to get to work on those. So, that’s what I’ll do, and this is where I’ll document it. Pics or it didn’t happen, right?